Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Coffee Talk

When I was growing up my parents did not drink coffee. My grandparents did. They drank it black.

I did not drink coffee. Even when Starbucks came to town I only drank hot chocolates and the odd cappuchino. Not really coffee. And never black!

And sometime after Small Fry was born my Mom went over to the dark side and started drinking coffee. I blame the pod machine that made custom coffee stocked in every flavor imaginable with unlimited cream and sugar supplied for free in her office at the time. French vanilla coffee with french vanilla creamer. Oh, it was good. And when I ended up at the office with her she introduced me to the beloved, wondreous coffee maker. Never mind that I was
pregnant with Tater Tot at the time. I checked with the OB/GYN and one or two cups of coffee a day was approved and so it began. My on-again, off-again affair with coffee. French Roast with Irish Cream flavored creamer and three sugars. So what if it was more cream and sugar than cream? I needed the dairy - pregnant remember?

But then I left that office for another job. A job that sadly did not have a personal cup of coffee machine brewer. But there was a Starbucks next door. So the daily coffee habit became a twice monthly iced coffee habit. Starbucks is expensive!

And then I left that job and became a Stay-At-Home-Mom (SAHM) without a coffee maker. So the coffee habit died.


And then....my mother the dealer :) made coffee last Thanksgiving while we were staying at her house. Sweet mom made a cup the way she likes it for my sweet SSCB (Super Sonic Cheeseburger).

Two months later I had to go to Wal-Mart and buy a coffeemaker, French Vanilla Folgers and creamer because my husband was craving coffee. It is now a daily addiction for both of us. Sad. But, I still won't drink it black!


Now? McDonald's is my new dealer. Their vanilla iced coffee? Oh, it's GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I try to make it at home and can only create a pale washed out version that passes for iced coffee but it lacks the richness of the McDonald's version.

The point of this post? Thanking Mom for getting me addicted. Thanking Mom for getting SSCB addicted. And forcing me to buy a coffee machine. The first hit's always free, right?


And you want to know what the real injustice here is? Mom quit coffee! Can you believe it? Now she's pushing Chai tea! Oh, the humanity. Thankfully I can brew the tea in my coffeemaker. Mmmmmmmmmm, chai tea. With milk and sugar.

But I'll wax nostalgic on the chai some other time!!

:)

Here's a little Freebie for you!

3 comments:

She-Ra said...

I am addicted to the McD's vanilla iced coffee too! I like it better than starbucks even. yikes!

We were roadtripping last summer. it was my turn to drive so we stopped at the golden arches so i could get one. they didn't have it there!!!! I was so upset!

thanks for the great digi kits!

Erika said...

LOL - boy does that bring back memories. "grown up" coffees at a friend's house during high school. Alas I am a tea drinker through and through. I love my first cup of english breakfast in the morning. But feeling out of the cool crowd who were sipping their varied coffees in take away containers, a hot chocolate just didn't cut it - then I was put on to Chai tea. Mmmmmmm and Maccas does make a good one. I love the smell of coffee but I always feel like the taste is a disappointment after that amazing smell. I think I need to go and make a chai now (yes I can make them at home - the addiction is growing !lol)
Best wishes,
Erika

Terebene said...

You're hilarious! Maybe it is so funny because I can relate. The coffee addiction is a dangerous thing....oh, almost forgot. Thanks!