Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summer Jobs

I was a lucky kid. I never had to find a summer job. I know, I know...brat.

Most of my summers were spent sleeping in, although Mom would call around 10ish "to make sure we were up." HA! We watched many, many reruns - The Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, The Munsters, The Addams Family, Green Acres, etc. - and game shows - The Price is Right was a real favorite!

But there was one summer when a job fell into my lap. I was a receptionist for the company that did our senior pictures. It was miserable. See, as many of you know, senior pictures are kind of a big deal, so when things don't go well people (especially parents) get really upset! And who gets the earful? That's right, the receptionist!

I spent most of the summer addressing mass mailings, fielding phone calls from people "that never got the appointment card," and listening to disapointed mothers complain about the picture proofs (that they would try to steal!).

I also had to babysit the other receptionists. Cause, you know, like, they would "forget" their shifts, call in sick (to go to the water park), and disappear (to flirt with the guys that were in studio). Ugh.

When school finally started I was so relieved, because with marching band season starting up I was able to quit. I don't think I have ever been so happy to start school. On the up side I did get a paycheck, if you can call it that. And on Memorial Day I got to spend the day in the office answering the phone (3 calls I think), reading, and watching the entire Indiana Jones series. I got paid double for that day! Woo-Hoo!

Summer jobs aren't all bad I suppose. I'm just glad I didn't have to ever worry about it. Thanks Mom and Dad!

1 comment:

runningmemaw said...

You are more than welcome, brat...LOL

mom