Friday, January 4, 2008

Christmas Has Left the Building


Yes folks, the tree is down, the wreath is packed up and the nativity is put back in the box. Usually, I dread this day. I hate putting the Christmas decorations away. I must be getting old, because this year was the complete opposite. I dreaded putting the decorations up, and enjoyed taking them down.

Or maybe I'm not old, maybe we're just outgrowing our home. That's probably more like it. The house is just getting too small. Decorating (and the subsequent furniture moving and adjustment) is just a chore and I don't enjoy it. It makes the already cramped house feel even more cramped, I guess. I feel out of sorts with all the decorations about. We need a bigger house.

Unfortunately, that is not in the cards for a few more years. It makes me a little sad, in a way. I used to love this house. I don't hate it now. Me and the house have developed an understanding of sorts. He (the house) won't shrink anymore if I agree not to drag anymore junk home.

I think what added to the Christmas bah-humbugs this year was the baby as well. Okay, not the actual baby, he's too cute to be a bah-humbug. It's all of his .......stuff. More clutter, no matter how necessary to the proper care and feeding of Junior Burger.

So, I found joy in taking down the decorations this year. And a twinge of sadness at the bleak winter month that approaches. Yeah, I said it. Month. Singular. Things start to warm up around February around these parts. Don't hate me, okay?

Today's Assignment

So, SSCB (that's Super-Sonic Cheeseburger) decided last night that we should just get a new dryer. I added that to my list of chores for today.

1. Grocery store. The bane of my existence. Also the reason for my existence, as the provider of nourishment. We have a love-hate relationship.

2. Tax Office. Truck needs new tags. Joy. I will find joy in renewing the tags. I will find joy in the long lines and screaming kids. I will. Just you watch.

3. Dry Cleaners. We're buds. They love me there. Almost as much as SSCB loves to wear dry-clean only clothes.

4. Bank. I will find joy at the bank. I actually have money to deposit. Usually I am draining the account...see next chore.

5. Appliance shopping. This will be the fun stuff. We have a Sears outlet store here, which rocks. We love dinged appliances here. Almost as much as we love dented cans at the grocery store!

Choosing Joy

So far, so good. No funk yet. No self-loathing. I have gotten into the habit of taking each situation that would normally drag me down and turning it over in my mind to find the joy in it. One little word, people. It's already making a difference.

No comments: